Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The dorsal part of each somite in a vertebrate embryo, giving rise to the skeletal musculature.
- ‘These tissues are composites of lateral plate derived connective tissues and the migratory population of the myotome.’
- ‘Each somite pair corresponds to a myotome in vertebrates or to an adult segment in annelids and arthropods.’
- ‘Third, the partitioning of different fiber types within the myotome allows homogenous samples of each fiber type to be easily removed and tested in vitro.’
- 1.1Each of the muscle blocks along either side of the spine in vertebrates (especially fish and amphibians)Also called myomere
- ‘The anatomy of ray-finned fish shows many of the characteristics common to all chordates: pharyngeal slits, a nerve cord, and body wall muscles arranged in myotomes, or segmented blocks.’
- ‘In addition, the entire muscle is rarely active simultaneously, and positive work is done in some portions of the myotome and negative work in others.’
- ‘The muscles of the body are segmented into blocks called myotomes.’
- ‘In vertebrates finally, the organization of muscles into myotomes for swimming has long been considered of crucial adaptative importance.’
- ‘All these muscles belong to the fifth cervical to first thoracic myotomes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.