One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the elongated contractile threads found in striated muscle cells.
- ‘Briefly, the cardiac myofibrils are composed of the major contractile proteins, actin and myosin.’
- ‘Inside the fibre are the myofibrils, which constitute the contractile apparatus, and a system for controlling the myofibrils through changes in calcium concentration.’
- ‘Individual muscle cells are extremely elongated and enclose many-stranded cables woven from threads called myofibrils.’
- ‘The number of myofibrils within the enlarged muscle fiber can increase more than 10-fold.’
- ‘In cross section, skeletal muscle fibers are seen to be composed of numerous small aggregates of contractile substance, the myofibrils.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.