One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of polyester resin used to make heat-resistant plastic films and sheets.
- ‘Another wall was adorned with brightly colored curvilinear shapes made of cutout vinyl, placed on rectilinear pieces of transparent Mylar that were carefully distributed in an uneven pattern.’
- ‘It has an optical quality far better than other materials, such as Mylar or polypropylene, that are typically used in laboratories.’
- ‘If they are sleeved in plastic, be sure it is not PVC plastic (look for Mylar or polypropylene).’
- ‘A balloon constructed of a tough polyester film called Mylar will deliver her to the edge of space.’
- ‘Because sheets of different materials - whether paper, Mylar, or metal - display similar ridges, the basic crumpling process must be similar in these materials.’
1950s: an arbitrary formation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.