Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium of a group that includes the causative agents of leprosy and tuberculosis.
- ‘Alcohol long has been recognized and documented as a broad-spectrum effective antiseptic that kills bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi, and some viruses.’
- ‘High-level disinfection results in the removal of all vegetative bacteria; mycobacteria; viruses; fungal spores; and some, but not all, bacterial spores.’
- ‘The theory is that dirt contains bacteria, especially mycobacteria, which stimulate one part of the immune system, whereas routine vaccinations stimulate a different part.’
- ‘The specimens were examined microscopically and cultured for bacteria, mycobacteria, and fungi.’
- ‘This technique can type other bacteria, mycobacteria, and yeast as well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.