One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gun that is loaded through its muzzle.
- ‘Police seized two revolvers and three muzzle-loaders dating from the Anglo-Boer South African War.’
- ‘It's the wrong shape for a carronade, and a long muzzle-loader would probably still have had trunions.’
- ‘The American civil war was fought with a mixture of smooth-bores and rifled muzzle-loaders.’
- ‘It was an ancient muzzle-loader held together with strapped wire!’
- ‘This muzzle-loader was fired by a percussion cap and shot a .58 caliber bullet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.