Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in betting) a pari-mutuel.
- ‘He has more than 30 years of experience in the pari-mutuel industry and was director of mutuels at Hialeah Park from 1974 through 2001.’
- ‘Her niece sits on the board of directors at Rockingham Park and is the director of mutuels at the track in Salem, New Hampshire.’
- ‘The Henderson University graduate has served as mutuel manager and simulcasting operations manager at Hoosier Park, Indiana's first racetrack, and assistant manager of mutuels at Churchill Downs.’
- ‘He previously worked as director of mutuels and simulcasting at Sam Houston Park and director of operations at Louisiana Downs.’
- ‘When a horse runs a lifetime best four-furlong number accompanied by a final number below his best, an improvement in the final number is likely in the near future, often at a generous mutuel.’
- ‘It was originally scheduled for August 5 but was changed to August 6 to take advantage of the NTRA's $1-million mystery mutuel.’
- ‘Mahony began his career in 1966 when he worked in mutuels for Monmouth Park, Garden State Park, and Atlantic City Race Course in New Jersey.’
- ‘His father, George, was manager of mutuels from 1954 to '84.’
Early 20th century: shortening of pari-mutuel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.