One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a soldier or sailor) refusing to obey the orders of a person in authority.
rebellious, insubordinate, subversive, seditious, insurgent, insurrectionary, insurrectionist, rebel, revolutionaryView synonyms
- ‘Most naval officers had either fled or been murdered by their mutinous crews.’
- ‘The first civil war was sparked by mutinous Southern army officers before independence and lasted until 1972.’
- ‘The mutinous crew sailed back to Tahiti, whence some of the members, accompanied by a number of Tahitians, migrated to Pitcairn's Island and established there an Utopian colony.’
- ‘The revolution itself had been carried out mainly by mutinous soldiers, who represented thereafter the only real authority.’
- ‘But with over five hundred men out for the count and the rest turning mutinous, he knew he had to find another place to settle down for the time being.’
- ‘For more than 200 years, this volcanic rock has been home to descendants of Fletcher Christian and his mutinous shipmates, who burnt the HMS Bounty here in 1790.’
- ‘The war ended in 1859, and the mutinous troops were tried and executed.’
- ‘The president accused mutinous troops of being influenced by ‘the smell of oil.’’
- ‘In 1857, a rebellion in north India led by mutinous Indian soldiers caused the British Parliament to transfer all political power from the East India Company to the Crown.’
- 1.1 Willful or disobedient.‘Antoinette looked mutinous, but she obeyed’
- ‘When she is not at her desk, nervy Virginia is being beastly to the staff, ordering her mutinous cook to make a train journey all the way from Richmond to the centre of town to get some sugar-ginger for lunch.’
- ‘I elude authority and make a tidy living being the mutinous karate girl in the corner.’
- ‘They seem to you inert, flabby, weakly envious, foolishly obstinate, impiously mutinous, and many other things.’
Late 16th century: from obsolete mutine ‘rebellion’ (see mutiny) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.