One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most common Eurasian swan, having white plumage and an orange-red bill with a black knob at the base. Introduced to the northeastern US, its range is expanding along the Atlantic coast and the Great Lakes region.
Cygnus olor, family Anatidae
- ‘Invasives like mute swans and rock pigeons are wreaking ecological havoc throughout the United States and threatening countless native species.’
- ‘Wildlife managers say mute swans are destroying significant amounts of submerged aquatic vegetation and chasing other shorebirds away from their nesting sites.’
- ‘But fly-fishers claim mute swans are stripping these rivers of water crowfoot, an aquatic plant crucial to trout and the insects they eat.’
- ‘On a recent walk I saw a kingfisher skim across the surface and a number of mute swans.’
- ‘We had our first recorded nesting of mute swans at the reserve.’
mute swan/ˈmyo͞ot ˌswän/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.