One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Liability or tendency to change.‘the incessant mutability of species’‘the very diversity of his fans suggest his mutability’
- ‘This scale assesses emotional stability: high scores indicate maturity and calmness; low scores indicate emotional mutability and greater susceptibility to feelings.’
- ‘These problems of cost must be solved if any mechanism to increase general mutability is to persist.’
- ‘He criticizes the author for underestimating the mutability and interpenetration of cultures.’
- ‘Darwin had been aware since 1837 that the creationist doctrine of fixed species would crumble if only he could find extreme mutability within one species.’
- ‘They are claiming an immutable state when their behavior shows extreme mutability.’
- ‘On waking he laments the mutability of human affairs.’
- ‘Sellers translated his vocal mutability into a visual variety, applying wigs and fake noses, playing old men and women, and creating a new kind of stardom.’
- ‘Hay's dances celebrate mutability; the performers can choose their gender each time.’
- ‘The mutability suggested by those two comments seemed all too familiar.’
- ‘Over the past 10 years, experimental observations have suggested that bacteria might be able to alter their mutability purposefully in response to stress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.