One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official list of officers and men in a military unit or ship's company.
- ‘Less than half of the participants in this undeclared war had their names on recruitment lists or regimental muster rolls.’
- ‘The muster rolls for the ships that fought reveal the diversity of their ages and skills.’
- ‘At the end of the war, 359,000 names appeared on Confederate muster rolls, but only 160,000 were on active duty, and of those, only 126,000 were present for duty.’
- ‘First, such studies often rely on muster rolls and other records of attendance to determine soldiers' actions.’
- ‘Also seized were muster rolls - details of the four ships' crews, including names, ranks, salaries and places of birth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.