One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless oily liquid whose vapor is a powerful irritant and vesicant, used in chemical weapons.
- ‘The skin of victims of mustard gas blistered, the eyes became very sore and they began to vomit.’
- ‘The gas masks used by almost every fire department in the country can't keep chemical agents like sarin and mustard gas from getting in.’
- ‘It was originally developed as an antidote to mustard gas in chemical warfare.’
- ‘There was another name to become famous in cancer biology who worked on nitrogen mustard and on mustard gas, but whose name did not appear as a co-author on that famous paper.’
- ‘Approximately 30 villages were gassed with chemical agents that included mustard gas and nerve toxins.’
- ‘Meanwhile, you remove the mustard gas which has condensed on your skin with the aid of body powder.’
- ‘A chemical weapon is any weapon that uses a manufactured chemical, such as sarin, mustard gas or hydrogen cyanide, to kill or injure.’
- ‘Sounds like we're in for a war of attrition, minus the trenches and the mustard gas.’
- ‘These will detail the effects of smallpox, anthrax, mustard gas and other chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear hazards.’
- ‘Experiments involved aerial spraying, gas chambers, and field tests that required soldiers to crawl across ground soaked with mustard gas or stand in chemical clouds.’
- ‘All showed traces of blister gases, the army said, a group of chemical compounds which include mustard gas.’
- ‘And they could spread death and destruction through warheads carrying anthrax, mustard gas, sarin or ricin.’
- ‘How often was the mustard gas used and in what sort of quantities?’
- ‘One of the ships destroyed was loaded with mustard gas, producing the only battlefield chemical casualties of the war.’
- ‘The primary gaseous agents used were chlorine, phosgene, a combination of the two, and mustard gas.’
- ‘In World War I, mustard gas was used to devastating effect.’
- ‘Politicians and military leaders in Europe were well aware of the effects of the deadliest of these chemicals, mustard gas.’
- ‘The purchase order for the mustard gas includes gas masks, filters and rubber gloves.’
- ‘It has more than a million munitions, armed with 31,000 tons of chemical weapons including mustard gas.’
- ‘It is 500 times as toxic as cyanide and more deadly than mustard gas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.