One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An American feral horse which is typically small and lightly built.
- ‘And perhaps, their favorite thing to do was to race the wild mustangs.’
- ‘I have a friend who has a couple of mustangs, and we ride when I get down to visit her.’
- ‘For centuries herds of wild mustangs have roamed the American wilderness - breathtaking symbols of the spirit of the pioneers.’
- ‘At the age of 13 he travelled to the Nevada desert to track wild mustangs and observe their behaviour.’
- ‘In the distance, he could make out six people, five of which road common mustangs while the sixth rode on a gallant, black stallion.’
Early 19th century: from a blend of Spanish mestengo (from mesta ‘company of graziers’) and mostrenco, both meaning ‘wild or masterless cattle’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.