One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1archaic term for muskrat
- ‘Beavers, procyons, musquashes, foxes and otters dwell in the reeds, while boars and 30 other species of mammals live on dry land.’
- ‘Animal life is quite varied, consisting of diverse mammals: the wild northern reindeer; furbearing animals such as Arctic foxes, red foxes, rabbit, stoats, musquashes, and so forth; ptarmigan; and waterfowl.’
- ‘In addition, musquashes and mink burrowed into the banks and undermined them.’
- ‘There are a lot of musquashes.’
- ‘That's why the best words in scrabble are ones like quartzy, musquashes or zyxomma.’
- 1.1British The fur of the muskrat.
- ‘The new robes will be a replica of the originals, but with fake fur instead of musquash.’
- ‘You may remember the character Linda being given her first longed-for fur coat made with musquash - good, but not quite as good as owning one made of mink or sable.’
Early 17th century: from Western Abnaki mòskwas.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.