One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small drab-colored American freshwater turtle which has scent glands that produce an unpleasant musky odor when the turtle is disturbed.
Genus Sternotherus, family Kinosternidae: several species, including the common musk turtle (S. odoratus)Also called stinkpot
- ‘The musk turtle has a sharply pointed snout with two thin whitish-yellow stripes running along either side of the snout to the neck.’
- ‘Mud and musk turtles of the United States include the common mud turtle, common musk turtle, razor-backed musk turtle, and yellow mud turtle.’
- ‘In Florida and south-central Texas, common musk turtles may be active all year long, but farther north, common musks are usually forced to hibernate in winter.’
- ‘Unlike some of the other musk turtles, S. oderatus are reported to not have a tolerance for brackish water.’
- ‘American mud and musk turtles are found mainly in eastern and southern North America and as far south as Argentina in South America.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.