Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An opera whose structure is governed by considerations of dramatic effectiveness, rather than by the convention of having a series of formal arias.
- ‘Martin comes up with stunning music for all this, as well as a new way of creating music drama.’
- ‘It's what transformed the Winterreise of Franz Schubert from a song recital to a true music drama and an avant-gardist spectacle.’
- ‘This summer Radio 3 will also launch Broken And Blue - a national competition inviting writers to create an original music drama for radio.’
- ‘Although he has Wagner credentials, this director is not an expert on Wagnerian music drama in the way that I am.’
- ‘The urge to turn Schubert's Winterreise into a staged music drama is apparently irresistible, considering how many attempts have been made in recent years.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.