One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The system or arrangement of muscles in a body, part of the body, or an organ.
- ‘This was well established through analysis of reflexes in crayfish abdominal musculature.’
- ‘The jaw musculature is immensely strong, giving rise to huge pressures and displacement forces.’
- ‘Treatment to restore normal tone and function to the pelvic floor musculature should not be overlooked.’
- ‘The types of scales that are present in fossils permit us to say something about the dermal musculature.’
- ‘Their teeth were large and pointy, and their jaw musculature was strong.’
- ‘Even though the heat is generated by the flight musculature, the platypleurine cicadas are able to elevate body temperature without flight.’
- ‘The tongue musculature is largely contained within a fibrous sac, so the whole maintains a constant volume irrespective of its shape.’
- ‘The body wall musculature consists of three longitudinal muscles that form a continuous layer around the body.’
- ‘Bones are obscured by overlying feathers, skin, and musculature.’
- ‘Based on those observations, he initiated a study of the role of the pelvic and tail musculature in the ventilation of pigeons.’
- ‘A neurologic examination revealed normal strength in the upper extremities with normal musculature.’
- ‘Cranial nerve musculature is less involved, and ophthalmoplegia is rare.’
- ‘Unlike the upper esophageal sphincter, the lower sphincter is not pulled open by extrinsic musculature.’
- ‘We now know that the actions of the specialized musculature of the lower esophageal sphincter provide the chief barrier to reflux.’
- ‘Internal voids resulted from the more rapid decay of internal organs and musculature than the cuticle of the exoskeleton.’
- ‘This test will fail if the abdominal musculature is very weak or if you are feeling through a diastasis recti.’
- ‘The posterior musculature consists of six muscles in two groups, superficial and deep.’
- ‘This allows the anal musculature to relax, and the fissure invariably heals.’
- ‘Atrophy of the hands, particularly the intrinsic musculature, may be present.’
- ‘Similarly, the basic structure of the human body is provided by the skeleton and musculature.’
Late 19th century: from French, from Latin musculus (see muscle).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.