One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Studded with short rough points.
prickly, spiky, thorny, thistly, briary, brambly, bristly, bristled, spiked, barbed, pronged, scratchy, sharpView synonyms
- ‘The ovary of Speranskia (subtribe Speranskiinae) and Caperonia (subtribe Ditaxinae) is muricate.’
- ‘For example, a specimen-dependent (not species-dependent) character such as the pustules of the muricate texture ranks first from the ninth harmonic.’
- ‘When dried, the emergences are sometimes difficult to see, resembling flattened, near-hyaline scales or giving the calyx wall a muricate or roughened appearance.’
- ‘Resembles Lophocolea muricata in being muricate, but the leaves of that species are bidentate with a sinus, whereas these have an apical spine.’
- ‘The group was initially characterized by small and globular taxa with a muricate funnel-pore wall texture.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin muricatus ‘shaped like a murex’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.