One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A security issued by or on behalf of a local authority.
- ‘Among high quality bonds, mortgage-backed securities, investment-grade corporates, and municipal bonds are the best bets.’
- ‘He appreciates the quiet stability of municipal bonds, the promise of growth in a choice equity position.’
- ‘Almost all cities issue municipal bonds to pay for construction projects, fill pension gaps and pay off older bonds.’
- ‘Hedge funds, investment partnerships for institutions and wealthy individuals, expect to profit from buying municipal bonds while simultaneously selling borrowed securities such as Treasury bonds, the paper said.’
- ‘Both Treasury and municipal bonds are generally considered to be relatively safe investments due to their low risk of default.’
- ‘The City has started upgrading the infrastructure, using some of the proceeds from the municipal bond issue, but it will take some years before this is completed.’
- ‘About 70% of that goes to fixed-income investments, such as mortgage-backed securities, Treasury notes, and municipal bonds.’
- ‘The council meeting also took note of a progress report on the proposed second issue of municipal bonds - which, the report said, is on track to happen at the end of June.’
- ‘There are municipal bonds, which are issued by state and local governments, school districts, ports, public utilities, and other local governmental authorities.’
- ‘Investors would only be interested in promoting a municipal bond if the conditions and the operational framework for municipalities are substantial.’
- ‘During the boom, a record $150 billion in high-yield municipal bonds financed a building spree - aquariums, stadiums, toll roads, amusement parks, and housing projects.’
- ‘He suggests municipal bonds, issued by state and local governments, as the next safest purchase.’
- ‘The first involves seeking out Treasuries and municipal bonds with maturities that offer the best relative values.’
- ‘To obtain a fair price on U.S. Treasuries and municipal bonds, buy new issues as well.’
- ‘The U.S. government does the same thing with treasury bonds and local government sell what are called municipal bonds.’
- ‘California taxpayers just gave the OK to issue $15 billion in municipal bonds to ease the state's fiscal crisis.’
- ‘Through a consortium of banks, the city decides to issue and sell a sufficient amount of municipal bonds to finance the project.’
- ‘The City of Johannesburg was very proud to be able to issue two municipal bonds this year.’
- ‘That investor, however, can avoid state and federal income taxes by investing in a fund that only owns municipal bonds issued in Ohio.’
- ‘This could be the time to carefully look at the possibilities that municipal bonds can offer in providing the financial base and revitalising operations for such local authorities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.