One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Speaking or spoken in a quiet and indistinct way.‘inarticulate, mumbling speeches’‘his mumbling manner and poor communication skills’
- ‘Its strange how so many little problems can render me a mumbling, incoherent madman.’
- ‘You're that mumbling teenager, angry at everything without being able to make your anger understood.’
- ‘He's a gentle, mumbling soul who means well but never quite manages to make those around him happy.’
- ‘A full-length commentary features Hill and McDonald offer a rambling, mumbling discussion of the real events behind some of the film's plot points.’
- ‘His mumbling, stammering, wincing performance may be a little mannered and actorly.’
- ‘Mobile phones are turning us into a nation of mumbling idiots with a set of stock phrases such as "Hi!"’
- ‘Never one to be clearly understood, he takes his mumbling incoherence to new depths.’
- ‘The boys in the office made mumbling noises about the fact that I'd got my hair cut, and studiously avoided saying anything else.’
- ‘This even includes a section in which a speech therapist analyses his mumbling sentences.’
- ‘He's geeky to a fault, quirky, talks in a mumbling, nasally fashion, and he's generally just crazy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.