One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of low-budget film typically characterized by the use of nonprofessional actors and naturalistic or improvised performances.‘an actor/filmmaker known for his cinematic experimentations with mumblecore’as modifier ‘the mumblecore movement’
- ‘Fans of Wes Anderson, mumblecore, and oddball romantic comedies should feel right at home.’
- ‘The confident leader is Violet (Greta Gerwig, a familiar figure in the so-called "mumblecore" school of garrulous independent film-making).’
- ‘Essentially this is a mumblecore comedy with moments of horror woven in.’
- ‘Their latest, Jeff, Who Lives at Home, is their most successful attempt to blend mumblecore sensibilities with mainstream techniques.’
- ‘And if, indeed, it had the potential to end up being "the mumblecore film to outlast its moment?"’
- ‘This savvy, emotionally rich comedy-drama proves that the often sloppy Mumblecore genre has room for more disciplined and intelligent entertainment.’
- ‘Jay and Mark Duplass broke into the movie-making scene as part of the lo-fi movement dubbed "mumblecore."’
- ‘It's a concept that could have been turned into a variety of films, everything from a micro-budget mumblecore piece to a big-budget studio laugher.’
- ‘With this leave-it-to-chance flair and in a few other ways, The Wolf Knife retains some of the mumblecore energy of her first feature.’
- ‘The cast begins in that mumblecore mode of quietly overreacting to everything, but once the testosterone starts oozing, the characters jump out.’
- ‘He's not a disciple of realism for its own sake; neither is he from the shambolic, guerrilla school of film-making known as mumblecore.’
- ‘He has since developed a style that owes a debt to classic American indies but also feels connected to a newer generation of "mumblecore" directors who specialize in chatty, angsty comedy-dramas.’
Early 21st century: from mumble (probably with reference to the style of acting) + -core.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.