One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (chiefly of an aircraft) capable of performing several roles.
- ‘People and systems must be capable of multi-role employment.’
- ‘Without a strong partnership between industry and the warfighter, it would have been impossible to transform a space-age stealthy fighter into the ultimate multi-role, peerless air dominance machine.’
- ‘The naval Super Lynx is a multi-role helicopter for anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue and utility operations.’
- ‘The B - 52H is the US Air Force's long-range, large-payload multi-role bomber and is known as the Stratofortress or the Buff (Big Ugly Fat Fellow).’
- ‘The Hawk 200 is a single-seat, lightweight multi-role combat aircraft for air defence and ground attack missions.’
- ‘The Philippines' legislature passed a military modernization program in the mid-1990s that called for the acquisition of modern multi-role fighter aircraft and patrol boats.’
- ‘The Tornado is a two-seat, all-weather, multi-role combat aircraft, in use with the armed forces of the UK, Germany, Italy and Saudi Arabia.’
- ‘She carries a 100 mm gun, anti-submarine torpedoes, a Sea Sparrow launcher, Harpoon, Phalanx close-in anti-air weapons and two multi-role helicopters.’
- ‘It began its career as a prestigious civil transport and later became a multi-role military aircraft.’
- ‘The destroyer will be a highly potent, multi-role platform capable of operations across the spectrum of tasks from peace support to high-intensity warfare.’
- ‘The B-1B is a multi-role, long-range bomber, capable of flying intercontinental missions without refueling, then penetrating present and predicted sophisticated enemy defenses.’
- ‘The company designs, manufactures and distributes a full range of machine guns, mounts, pods and rocket launchers to equip multi-role helicopters and subsonic aircraft.’
- ‘The multi-role combat organisation, in my personal view, is the future.’
- ‘Rather than allowing them to lapse into obsolescence from their early role of dropping iron bombs, they have been progressively upgraded to make them what they are today - truly multi-role aircraft.’
- ‘The multi-role fighter can be armed with air-to-surface, air-to-ground and anti-ship missiles, as well as rocket pods, bombs and cluster bombs.’
- ‘The A129 International is a multi-role helicopter for armed reconnaissance and surveillance, high-value ground-target engagement, escort, fire support, and air-threat suppression.’
- ‘Their design, development and delayed introduction into service were controversial but not entirely unexpected considering the radical design and initial specifications for a multi-role aircraft.’
- ‘The HOT ATM (Anti-Tank Modular) system, developed in 1997, is a multi-role system for observation and reconnaissance as well as being a weapon system.’
- ‘The aircraft, to replace the Boeing 707, will be known as the multi-role tanker transport and will significantly upgrade the Air Force's air-to-air refuelling capabilities.’
- ‘The Thetis class are multi-role frigates for fishery protection, surveillance, air-sea rescue, anti-pollution and ice reconnaissance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.