Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process or skill of multiplying.‘we need to use both multiplication and division to find the answers’‘the rapid multiplication of abnormal white blood cells’
expansion, growth, increase in size, extension, amplification, augmentation, topping up, building up, addition, supplementingView synonyms
- ‘Try the same multiplications as above: 32x65 and 31x65.’
- ‘Take all the products of these multiplications and add them together.’
- ‘They should also be able to understand basic maths and geometry, including fractions, decimals, multiplication and division.’
- ‘These teachers thought it inappropriate to ask kindergartners and first and second graders to experience multiplications, divisions, fractions and decimals at such an early age.’
- ‘There I learned addition, multiplication, division and subtraction, mostly from several private tutors.’
- ‘People who needed to do many multiplications or divisions probably looked the answers up in a table, or hired someone who could.’
- ‘IBM's new supercomputer, Blue Gene, may do close to one quadrillion multiplications per second.’
- ‘In one drawing, the child is skirted, maybe in a tutu, in the midst of a group of other children - who may be multiplications of herself - and she has lost one shoe.’
- ‘These dietary conditions lead to rapid multiplication of the clostridial bacteria in the gut of the sheep.’
- ‘Magiste compared performance of strong German-Swedish bilinguals and German-dominant monolinguals on arithmetic tasks that required a series of simple additions, subtractions, multiplications or divisions.’
- ‘While some problems needed only division or multiplication to solve, others used fractions or multiple steps.’
- ‘Distraction was based on arithmetic equations (additions, subtractions, multiplications, and divisions) displayed for 10 seconds in a corner of the screen.’
- ‘Anyone who studies mathematics should not be afraid of the difficulty of multiplication and division, but should be afraid of the mysteries of manipulating fractions.’
- ‘Topics considered include addition and subtraction of decimal numbers followed by multiplication and division of decimal numbers.’
- ‘These growth programs are specified when the elements are initially patterned and involve both cell multiplication and matrix secretion.’
- ‘The work contains 11 chapters, one each on topics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots and cube roots.’
- ‘One could verify this by doing two different long multiplications and checking that they give the same answer.’
- ‘As well, division is typically learned relative to multiplication (as subtraction is learned relative to addition).’
- ‘The tiny tots tried to explain about maths with the use of small pebbles by counting, addition, subtraction and multiplication.’
- ‘It could perform basic arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and it could calculate square roots.’
- 1.1Mathematics The process of combining matrices, vectors, or other quantities under specific rules to obtain their product.
- ‘In particular, the Hindu astronomer Brahmagupta worked out the rules for addition, subtraction and multiplication by zero.’
- ‘For matrix multiplication, vectors without superscript are treated as columns and vectors with the T superscript as rows.’
- ‘The dots used above do not mean a matrix or vector multiplication in the strict sense.’
- ‘Bombelli was the first person to write down the rules for addition, subtraction and multiplication of complex numbers.’
- ‘Cayley gave a matrix algebra defining addition, multiplication, scalar multiplication and inverses.’
Late Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin multiplicatio(n-), from multiplicare (see multiply).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.