One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Characterized by several different modes of activity or occurrence.
- ‘Patients who score more poorly on cognitive tests may benefit from coping skills training approaches that are more concrete and taught in multimodal, interactive, repeated rehearsal formats.’
- ‘Their experience of literacy will have included not just print, but other multimodal elements including image, sound, symbol, gesture, maps and graphics, the use of space and experiences of interactivity.’
- ‘‘We are focusing on a market that is inherently multimode and there are a number of entrants in that market,’ said Lodge.’
- ‘Standard multimode and single mode cables are supported.’
- ‘Most devices are multimode allowing them to run in either single ended or low voltage differential.’
- ‘This requires not only multimode phones but also a common core services layer.’
- ‘The scattered light is then focused into a multimode optical fiber in which the fiber core acts as a pinhole for confocal microscopy.’
- ‘Furthermore, she suggests that rather than attempting to reconcile the differences, we might consider ‘social connectedness to exist in a kind of multimodal continuum’.’
- ‘It is a move to a balanced, multimodal system that matches each transport mode to its best use, respects people and the environment, and addresses transport demand as well as supply.’
- ‘The main difference would be that it would concentrate not on one mode, but on the way modes work together in multimodal texts.’
- ‘For example, recent studies demonstrated that orienting attention to a nonpredictive auditory cue improves visual perception and modulates neural activity in multimodal areas as well as modality-specific visual areas of cortex.’
- ‘We used three multimode fibers with different core diameters, namely, 50, 100, and 200 m, for collecting fluorescence.’
- ‘The invention uses a fiber optic transceiver to provide low latency, high bandwidth channels for such interconnects using a robust multimode fiber technology.’
- ‘Particularly for multimode systems, it is important to ensure that some minimum length of fiber is included in the test in order to ensure adequate optical mode fill.’
- ‘A multimode optical fiber was used to deliver the light from the tungsten-halogen lamp to the detector.’
- ‘Both training groups participated in a multimodal rehabilitation program that included relaxation, aerobic training, behavior modification, and four sessions of physical therapy.’
- ‘We are particularly interested in unlinked distance since it represents passenger kilometres by each mode, regardless of whether the mode is part of a multimode trip or a single-mode trip.’
- ‘The focus of the project is to support human-to-human interaction across language and cultural barriers, and to do research in pervasive multimodal and multilingual computing environments.’
- ‘You can use multimode or monomode fiber-optic, but also coaxial copper cable.’
- ‘AthosCal, a prototype multimodal calendar application, runs on several platforms including PDAs and desktop computers.’
- 1.1Statistics (of a frequency curve or distribution) having several modes or maxima.
- ‘None of the histograms suggest multimodal distributions and tests of normality indicate normal distributions.’
- ‘Chromosomes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 seem to have bimodal or multimodal distributions.’
- ‘If a mismatch distribution is multimodal, a history of population stability can be inferred.’
- ‘A constant-sized population is expected to show a ragged, multimodal distribution, while an expanding population shows a smooth, unimodal distribution.’
- ‘However, synoptic weather codes predicted patterns of migration even in calm winds and we often observed a multimodal distribution of simultaneous tracks at a single site, presumably under similar wind conditions.’
- 1.2Statistics (of a property) occurring with multimodal distribution.
- ‘With a large enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear unimodal; with a small enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear bimodal (or even multimodal, having more than two peaks).’
- ‘These density estimates will initially be bimodal or multimodal, but will become unimodal once h increases past a certain critical value.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.