Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of bread) made from more than one kind of grain.
- ‘Supermarket shelves are stocked with multigrain breads that contain no fiber, fruit beverages with virtually no fruit, vegetable products with essentially no vegetables.’
- ‘I found it easier simply to cover the casserole with toasted multigrain bread cubes and let them develop into a nice crusty top.’
- ‘If the main ingredient on a multigrain bread is enriched wheat flour, for example, it does not contain whole grain.’
- ‘Your best bet may be just a slice of multigrain bread.’
- ‘I top two lowfat multigrain waffles with half a cup of lowfat cottage cheese and a cup of my favorite fruit.’
- ‘The exciting range of breads includes croissant, pumpernickel and multigrain.’
- ‘I was particularly impressed by the eggplant club, which consists of three slices of a crunchy multigrain bread layered with smoked mozzarella, lettuce, thick slices of tomato and eggplant with pesto mayonnaise.’
- ‘For something simpler, the restaurant offers set lunch menus Monday to Friday with a variety of baked meats or seafood, served with multigrain rice that changes weekly.’
- ‘He laughed and he said: ‘Well I can bring you baguettes or multigrain bread.’’
- ‘While Jerry guzzled coffee and ordered all the greasy meat on the menu, Tom fueled up on carbs with multigrain cereal and toast, and protein from eggs and dairy to replenish his power.’
- ‘They also have the most topping I have ever seen, by a long shot - the poppy and sesame seeds are in a thick layer, the multigrain always sheds oats, and the cheese and onion (available fresh on Saturdays) is savoury and rich.’
- ‘Ease the switch to whole grains by opting for whole-wheat bread before graduating to grainy, multigrain slices.’
- ‘Dinner begins with a stirato or multigrain roll and a small dish of herbed olive oil.’
- ‘Instead of sweetened cereals, toaster tarts and doughnuts, choose bagels, multigrain cereals and fresh fruit.’
- ‘But I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on multigrain bread.’
- ‘Bags of six Montreal bagels are available in plain, poppy seed, sesame seed and multigrain.’
- ‘He liked homemade carrot juice, nutty sunflower pate, roast jicama with a little balsamic vinegar, organic multigrain bread, and cholesterol-free egg substitute.’
- ‘It comes with pita bread, a multigrain bread or grilled focaccia; we were very pleased with the grilled focaccia that we ordered at the waitress' recommendation.’
- ‘That's where I get steak and multigrain pancakes after my workouts.’
- ‘You can also buy rye and multigrain loaves which are dense and flavourful, and make great toast.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.