Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or fulfilling several functions.‘a multifunctional analog meter’
- ‘There's just too much choice between single function and multifunction machines, so this Comparison Test should help you find your way through them.’
- ‘If each gene regulated by a transcription factor is viewed as one function of that factor, then most transcription factors are multifunctional.’
- ‘The origins of gardening lie in growing plants with a purpose and for those who favour the growing of multifunctional flora, the common elder is certainly a plant for consideration.’
- ‘You can also get a multifunction option as well giving you copying functions as well.’
- ‘The resort will also include a multifunctional complex with dining and entertainment venues and a golf clubhouse, as well as tennis courts and swimming facilities.’
- ‘In the case of multifunctional genes, this is possible if the critical functions are shared by duplicate genes.’
- ‘A common theme of all of these small proteins is that some of them have at least two functional roles and can therefore be seen as multifunctional tools.’
- ‘All of Eric's furniture pieces - whether plastic, metal, or bent plywood - are multifunctional and easily portable.’
- ‘The building will be multifunctional with a large exhibition space, workshop, resource room and meeting space in addition to offices for Trust staff.’
- ‘The next one has to do with multifunction versus dedicated function.’
- ‘In addition to its protective function, the seed coat serves as a multifunctional organ and is involved in supplying nutrients to the embryo sac during seed development.’
- ‘In addition, they could switch from multifunction buttons to buttons with single functions illustrated by icons.’
- ‘Apart from the strong demand in multifunctional buildings there is also a strong investors' interest in buying and renting storage facilities.’
- ‘The brief was to create a multifunction hall, meeting rooms and storage.’
- ‘The multifunctional role of agriculture in the EU, including its environmental, food quality and rural development roles, would be abandoned.’
- ‘The playground will be multifunctional, half of it will be a basketball court and the other half will be an area where children can play general games.’
- ‘First, there is a general acceptance that armed forces must possess the ability to adapt to differing modes of war right along the conflict spectrum by becoming multifunctional.’
- ‘New generations of multifunction DVD drives that support all of the popular DVD media formats have made the competing formats almost irrelevant.’
- ‘If I were ever limited to growing just one herb it would have to be parsley, one of the most multifunctional of all plants.’
- ‘Some of the pieces are multifunctional, such as her perforated box vase, which can double as a candleholder.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.