One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small vent or fissure in the ground discharging hot mud.
- ‘The mud is considered to be a potential raw material for ceramics manufacture, and physicists are investigating the effluent from the Devil's Woodyard mud volcano of central Trinidad.’
- ‘Narrow vertical fluid and gas escape pipes are a feature of some igneous systems and have been linked to mud volcano evolution in other sedimentary basins.’
- ‘Yellowstone, in Wyoming and Montana, is famed for its geysers, hot springs and mud volcanoes; while Yellowstone, in Sierra Nevada, is noted for sheer granite cliffs and spectacular waterfalls.’
- ‘In addition to being the largest single mud volcano yet described, this case study provides new insights into the architecture of a feeder system that connects a major volcanic cone to its source layer several kilometres below.’
- ‘In extreme cases, the soil particles become suspended in groundwater and the deposit reacts as a fluid giving rise to sand or mud volcanoes.’
- ‘Money rules, even when the best entertainment around is lathering in a mud volcano.’
- ‘The existence of methane hydrate at the shallow depth was unexpected by the scientists and indicates, together with other supporting evidence, that the mud volcano is actively venting methane gas.’
- ‘Observations made can be used to deduce the extension of onshore faulting into offshore areas and the relationship or lack thereof between large-scale faulting and mud volcano activity.’
- ‘Baratang Island, which is about 100 km by road from Port Blair, will be promoted more for its mud volcanoes and limestone caves and less for its beaches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.