One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of drab-colored freshwater turtles that often haul themselves out on to mudbanks.
an American turtle with scent glands that produce an unpleasant odor (genus Kinosternon, family Kinosternidae)
an African side-necked turtle (genus Pelusios, family Pelomedusidae)
an Asian soft-shell (genera Lissemys and Pelochelys, family Trionychidae)
- ‘Cypress trunk flutings and druidlike knees rise everywhere, and mud turtles paddle clumsily through the talmin-mirrored waters.’
- ‘Some, such as the yellow mud turtle, burrow deeper into the soil shortly after hatching, finding safety below the frost line.’
- ‘Suspended languidly in the water, a Sonoran mud turtle poked about slowly, ‘going nowhere in plenty of time,’ as N. Scott Momaday would say.’
- ‘In 2002, the Arizona Game and Fish Department began working to develop a conservation agreement for the Sonoyta mud turtle, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act.’
- ‘He describes the tiny black seeds, vividly, as being like ‘diminutive mud turtles with head and neck outstretched and projections at the corners where the feet would emerge beneath the carapace’.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.