One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slimy substance, typically not miscible with water, secreted by mucous membranes and glands for lubrication, protection, etc.
- ‘Actually coughing is a healthy reflex that helps clear mucus or phlegm in the throat and chest.’
- ‘The conjunctiva contains thousands of cells that produce mucus and tiny glands that produce tears.’
- ‘A person with cystic fibrosis produces thick, sticky mucus that provides a perfect breeding ground for bacterial growth.’
- ‘We therefore sought to study the mechanisms by which this increase in airway mucus production is regulated.’
- ‘Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chronic coughing and increased mucus production.’
- ‘If necessary to loosen mucus in the nose, you can use salt water nose drops.’
- ‘Other symptoms include a fever, tenderness over your face, and thick green or yellow mucus in your nose.’
- ‘The bacteria feed on mucus secreted by glands on the worms' backs.’
- ‘To increase participation, we also collected nasal mucus by asking volunteers to blow their noses into a paper tissue.’
- ‘Coughing is good because it helps to clear foreign objects and mucus from your lungs and breathing tubes.’
- ‘It is spread by contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person.’
- ‘Excess mucus occurs only in some pathological conditions, and makes its presence known in the stools.’
- ‘Dysentery was defined as the presence of blood and mucus in the stools.’
- ‘Your baby's doctor may recommend saline nose drops or saltwater nasal spray to loosen thick nasal mucus.’
- ‘The normal physiologic vaginal discharge comprises vaginal secretions, exfoliated cells and cervical mucus.’
- ‘Davis worries that inhibitors of mucus secretion might block activity of beneficial proteins.’
- ‘Calcium ions have been mentioned as a possible means of stiffening a mucus secretion.’
- ‘The cervical mucus plugs the cervical canal and normally prevents foreign materials from entering the reproductive tract.’
- ‘Excess mucus in the airways causes severe cough and discomfort, and can lead to further obstruction and inflammation.’
- ‘Physiotherapy helps clear the thick, sticky mucus from the lungs.’
- 1.1 A gummy substance found in plants; mucilage.
ooze, sludge, muck, mud, mireView synonyms
- ‘The tube feet, arranged in groups of three on the pinnules, are coated with mucus that ensnares the prey.’
- ‘This plant secretes mucus from a stalk.’
- ‘Mucus produced by the plant provides temporary and effective protection from petroleum damage.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.