One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An epithelial tissue which secretes mucus, and lines many body cavities and tubular organs including the gut and respiratory passages.
- ‘The data sheet also states that it is irritating to mucous membranes and the upper respiratory tract.’
- ‘As more blood flows to your body's mucous membranes, the lining of your nose and airway swells.’
- ‘These fumes are toxic and may have irritating effects on mucous membranes of the respiratory tract and eyes.’
- ‘Pinkeye, also known as conjunctivitis, is a contagious and painful bacterial infection of the mucous membrane that lines your eyelids.’
- ‘Liquid leaks out of the blood vessels, making the mucous membranes lining the nose and throat to swell, and stimulating nearby gland to produce mucus.’
- ‘As powder is inhaled, it can sensitize an individual through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.’
- ‘The skin epithelium is not as efficient as the epithelia of the mucous membranes that line the gut and airways.’
- ‘The entrance to the digestive tract, the mouth is lined with mucous membranes.’
- ‘Gloves must be worn when handling any biologic specimen and when touching blood, body fluids, mucous membranes or non-intact skin of all patients.’
- ‘Avoid use on face or near mucous membranes (absorption through mucous membranes may cause seizures).’
- ‘The ways in which these infections come to the body to begin with, are through the lining of the upper respiratory tract, that is, that mucous membrane lining the nose and the throat.’
- ‘These responses can occur when materials containing latex come into contact with the skin, mucous membranes, or internal tissues.’
- ‘Over the sclera lies the conjunctiva, a clear mucous membrane that protects the eye from becoming dry.’
- ‘The olfactory organ is located in the mucous membrane lining the uppermost part of the roof of the nasal cavity.’
- ‘Rhinitis also causes overactivity of the glands in the mucous membrane, causing excessive mucus production and a watery discharge.’
- ‘Sinuses are lined with the same mucous membranes that line the nose and mouth.’
- ‘The airways also become inflamed with swelling of the bronchial mucous membrane and secretion of excessive thick mucus that is difficult to expel.’
- ‘The mucus that is produced by the mucous membranes in your sinuses normally drains into your nose through small holes called ostia.’
- ‘Laughter Therapy increases the antibody levels in the mucous membranes of the respiratory passages, thereby reducing the frequency of chest infections.’
- ‘The eyeball is also covered by a transparent mucous membrane (the conjunctiva), which is continuous along the inner surface of both eyelids (the palpebral conjunctiva).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.