Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mucous membrane.‘the intestinal mucosa’
- ‘The discoloration can also occur in nasal, bronchial mucosa, fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘It can have an irritant effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa, and in large doses will act as an emetic.’
- ‘It's no better at pain relief and no easier on the gastrointestinal mucosa than other drugs in its class, they say.’
- ‘Celiac disease is a T-cell-mediated disorder triggered by gluten in susceptible subjects, affecting not only the small bowel but also the gastric and colonic mucosae.’
- ‘Gluten causes the intestinal mucosa to lose its villous structure and absorptive capacity.’
- ‘Target organs in this respect include nasal or oral cavity, lung, oesophagus, stomach mucosa, duodenum or skin.’
- ‘A continuous film covers the mucosa of the lungs, extending from the alveoli to the larger airways.’
- ‘Almost all fats are absorbed into the lymph system from the intestinal mucosa.’
- ‘Several specialised cells in the gastric mucosa contribute to the control of acid secretion.’
- ‘Gastroesophageal endoscopy provides the best assessment of the esophageal mucosa.’
- ‘Lesions of the oral mucosa may be seen on the gingiva, buccal mucosa, palate, tongue, and lips.’
- ‘Solitary lymph nodules may be present in the mucosa and in the connective tissue around the cartilage.’
- ‘It is important to remove any mucous covering the mucosa to allow adequate visualization.’
- ‘Buccal mucosa was scraped by a sterile spatula and smeared on the slides.’
- ‘Nodules may also appear in the skeletal muscles and mucosae of the digestive and respiratory tracts.’
- ‘Many drugs enhance the damage that gastric fluid does to the esophageal mucosa.’
- ‘Preparations requiring enemas may result in mechanical damage to bowel mucosa.’
- ‘Sedation may be necessary for appraisal of the rectal mucosa in an anxious child presenting for the first time.’
- ‘This leads to a more prolonged exposure of the esophageal mucosa to gastric fluid than normal.’
- ‘The buccal mucosa is the most common site of involvement in the oral cavity.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, feminine of mucosus (see mucous).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.