Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Eastern medicine) the burning of moxa on or near a person's skin as a counterirritant.
- ‘And he didn't do an acupuncture treatment, he did something called moxibustion.’
- ‘In Oriental medicine acupuncture and moxibustion are being utilized for the purpose of stopping preterm labor.’
- ‘The reason for this is because pain and burn are more directly invasive, and electric moxibustion, without using moxa, can enhance antibody production.’
- ‘Breech presentation was successfully corrected by stimulating acupuncture points with moxibustion or low-frequency electrical current.’
- ‘Previous studies have shown that moxibustion and some Chinese herbs effectively protected rats from acute liver injury.’
- ‘The results showed that the therapeutic effect of acupuncture and moxibustion was good with a total effective rate of 88.24%.’
- ‘Sun regarded the integration of acupuncture, moxibustion and the use of drugs as a complete system of medicine.’
- ‘Acupuncture shall include, but not be limited to, the insertion of acupuncture needles and the application of moxibustion to specific areas of the human body.’
- ‘Ultrasound examination was performed before and after each moxibustion treatment to determine the fetal presentation.’
- ‘Acupuncture was used on selected points on the patients every second day and moxibustion was used on selected acupoints, also every second day, so that the patients effectively had a treatment every day.’
- ‘Stimulating techniques such as acupuncture, moxibustion or massage may be applied to these points to relieve disorders of their corresponding organs.’
- ‘Recent immunological studies have shown that direct moxibustion to acupoint can mediate the systemic immune functions.’
- ‘Currently, we have actively introduced Oriental medicine for the treatment of a wide range of diseases using Chinese medicines and acupuncture or moxibustion.’
- ‘By making a differentiating diagnosis, practitioners can choose the best method of applying acupuncture, moxibustion, herbs, Qigong or massage.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese medicine incorporates acupuncture, moxibustion, herbal remedies, cupping, therapeutic exercise and dietary and lifestyle advice.’
- ‘Here I am shown remarkably healthy-looking patients in perfectly starched and ironed outfits receiving treatment by acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping, and massage.’
- ‘Patients reported in our questionnaire research that they had no abdominal pain during moxibustion treatment, but rather felt comfortable warmth not limited to the abdomen, but in the entire body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.