Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who makes motion pictures; a filmmaker.
- ‘What we end up with is a sequence with a very authentic feeling, something that could very well be the final moments in the life of some soulless, amoral moviemakers.’
- ‘What should the moviemakers do to salvage this mess?’
- ‘Here's a clue, moviemakers: if you want us to care about characters, give them interesting personalities.’
- ‘In the tradition of ground breaking moviemakers, he writes, directs and produces.’
- ‘Too bad he did not have a clue about a moviemaker's most important quality, writing and directing film.’
- ‘A fantasy moviemaker himself, Davis deplores the widespread condescension toward genre films he sees in Canada and the U.S.’
- ‘Over the last century, writers like Rudyard Kipling and moviemakers like Walt Disney have given almost human qualities to what in real life are wild and untamable animals.’
- ‘Yes, the future is filled with horrors that only moviemakers can dream up.’
- ‘Apparently, the filmic horizons are as infinite as the limits of the sky for these amazing moviemakers and their crazy creations.’
- ‘Roger Ebert argues against the attitude attributed to most independent moviemakers that, since they've created a film, it must, somehow, be seen.’
- ‘In attempting to make a broad-ranging, effective contemporary film, the moviemakers invoked images and qualities of other genres and times and created a hybrid product.’
- ‘Some moviemakers are film students, while others are unschooled do-it-yourself types.’
- ‘The structure lets the moviemakers preserve much of Thornton Wilder's writing, mostly in Juniper's narration and in the statements of the Archbishop.’
- ‘Just because the stupid people don't get it doesn't mean that the moviemakers didn't.’
- ‘A film that has inspired moviemakers for decades, King Kong has finally come to DVD, just in time for its big screen remake by Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson.’
- ‘Animators and moviemakers everywhere are guilty for not giving us a product of this caliber up to this point.’
- ‘Universal Studios last week became the first major Hollywood moviemaker to make films available for video-on-demand on cable.’
- ‘The film is being made by fledgling moviemakers Thirteen Films.’
- ‘And with those words, the moviemakers abandon the Owl Ranch (and we later learn, the entire project as well).’
- ‘A script offers no more to a great moviemaker than an opera libretto does to a great composer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.