One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liquid used for rinsing the mouth or gargling with, typically containing an antiseptic.
- ‘Next he pulled out a bottle of Firewine and took a mouthful before gargling it like mouthwash and swallowing it.’
- ‘Disinfectants, deodorant soaps, toilet bowl cleaners and even mouthwash kill the beneficial bacteria.’
- ‘Despite the ritual dousing with perfume and mouthwash, the girl still smelled faintly of cigarette smoke.’
- ‘I brush my teeth, rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash.’
- ‘He came back minutes later toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthwash in hand.’
- ‘And I braced myself for the bad news - would I spend the next six months gargling prescription mouthwash?’
- ‘I stretched, yawned, rinsed with mouthwash, then set about to explore my surroundings.’
- ‘Incidentally, the dentist said that toothpastes with mouthwash killed the useful bacteria inside the oral cavity due to its antiseptic qualities.’
- ‘Gargling with this mouthwash can't be described as pleasant.’
- ‘Before leaving home, as a last-minute precaution, I also indulged in some serious mouthwash gargling, followed by a frantic gum-chewing session.’
- ‘Personal care products such as shampoos, deodorants, dental floss and mouthwash are multibillion-dollar industries.’
- ‘We brush, floss, use tartar-fighting rinses, and swish around mouthwash to freshen our breath.’
- ‘Rinse with antiseptic mouthwash, like Listerine, and floss daily.’
- ‘If you happen to be suffering from any or all of the conditions listed above, you need to stop using any toothpaste or mouthwash of any description whatsoever.’
- ‘You might even want to gargle with mouthwash before meeting with potential clients.’
- ‘But bad breath isn't always the result of choosing the wrong mouthwash or toothpaste, a University of Iowa dentist says.’
- ‘For all I knew she was going to hand me a bottle of mouthwash or a stick of deodorant.’
- ‘When Laurel emerged from the bathroom, gargling with mouthwash, I didn't share that fantasy with her.’
- ‘She'll long to take a proper shower, gargle with mouthwash, paint her toenails pink.’
- ‘Sore throats, irritated gums and oral sores can be soothed by a gargle or mouthwash of strong sage tea.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.