One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Halet likes the song; there is something Turkish about its mournfulness.’
- ‘The score, by Zbigniew Preisner, suffuses the film with mournfulness.’
- ‘‘Yes, I do,’ she answered, with a note of mournfulness.’
- ‘The second piece, marked Scherzo, intensifies the mournfulness into anguish and panic.’
- ‘If you listen to Bach's ‘St. Matthew Passion,’ there is very little violence in the music; the overwhelming tone is one of mournfulness and sorrow.’
- ‘He spins round and lifts the teapot with a smile, the mournfulness temporarily gone, trapped beneath a professional veneer.’
- ‘There's a sombre mournfulness that suggests deep hurt and painful, reluctant acceptance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.