Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bicycle with a light sturdy frame, broad deep-treaded tires, and multiple gears, originally designed for riding on mountainous terrain.
- ‘One of the first things I did during my break was get back on my mountain bike.’
- ‘Later, he was seen riding away on a brightly-coloured mountain bike.’
- ‘In Australia, the left hand brake on a mountain bike works the back brake, but over here in Canada it is reversed.’
- ‘A charity cyclist has hit out at thieves who stole his new mountain bike while he was at a church service.’
- ‘He suffered minor abrasions after falling off a mountain bike on Saturday.’
- ‘But to be honest the mountain bike is probably a better choice for this.’
- ‘We had the choice of any bicycle in the store, so Peter chose a mountain bike and Georgia chose a purple little number.’
- ‘He got off his red mountain bike, unclipped the helmet and strapped it over the handlebars.’
- ‘The last time I ran out of gas, I had my mountain bike strapped to the top of the car.’
- ‘The day's takings were improved by a generous gesture by local couple Phil and Lesley Easton, who gave a mountain bike to be auctioned.’
- ‘Or I could get up early tomorrow morning and make sure my mountain bike is road-worthy and use that.’
- ‘The reason for this was that she had her mountain bike in top gear.’
- ‘Four years ago I was afraid to go to the skatepark on my mountain bike.’
- ‘I try to get out on my mountain bike or racing bike as much as I can.’
- ‘You can ride a mountain bike, a skateboard or snowboard, drive a car, ski - even fish!’
- ‘Of course it's almost impossible to think I would ever go home on a mountain bike.’
- ‘Whilst in Lake Manyara hire a mountain bike to ride around the local villages.’
- ‘While walking by the perimeter fence of the playing fields, she noticed a man riding past on a mountain bike.’
- ‘Should I take a jeep down that dirt road or rent a mountain bike and go exploring?’
- ‘I had planned to rent a mountain bike and ride up to it early in the morning.’
mountain bike/ˈmount(ə)n ˌbīk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.