Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boat powered by a motor, especially a recreational boat.
- ‘The unit was alerted to the fire at 4.30 pm after a motor boat owner discovered a fire in the engine compartment of his vessel.’
- ‘The popularity of water scooters, high powered motor boats and parasailing pose a threat of accidents.’
- ‘On arrival in Vicarstown, the children donned lifejackets and boarded motor boats provided by Laois and Kildare Civil Defence.’
- ‘Police feared today for the safety of a sailor after his motor boat was found abandoned on the River Ouse near York, following a suspected crash.’
- ‘The first outboard motor boats on the reef were made, according to local legend, by returned World War I servicemen, by lashing a Ford engine to the back of a dinghy.’
- ‘A motor boat heading to Teddington was travelling so fast that a houseboat was damaged by its wash and the driver was this week cautioned by the Port of London Authority.’
- ‘Eventually I got to drive one of the motor boats up and down the river, to Bishopthorpe Palace and Nun Monkton.’
- ‘Small boats may have outboard motors and then are often called motor boats.’
- ‘But motor boats are only one threat to manatees.’
- ‘Choose from an energetic canoe ride, a romantic row down the river or a leisurely cruise on a motor boat.’
- ‘Marine Police found a three-metre motor boat near the beach.’
- ‘His involvement in motor sport, aviation and motor boats made him a hero in his native Belgium.’
- ‘Instruction is given in the use of kayaks, two-seater canoes and motor boats.’
- ‘After joining the Dolittle project two years ago, he made a breakthrough discovery: Under noisy conditions, such as those created by passing motor boats, the whales vocalized louder so that pod members could hear them.’
- ‘This is the last opportunity for a lot of the classic motor boats to be used here for what they were designed to do.’
- ‘Through the trees you may catch glimpses of billowing sails, wind surfers, cross-lakes ferries and motor boats.’
- ‘Because of the increase in popularity of sailing and motor boats, marina space has become more difficult to get, according to boating sources.’
- ‘Their sheer beauty and majesty left me feeling quite uplifted, although the fact that they have no fear of humans, a healthy disregard for motor boats and are very inquisitive has led to their near extinction.’
- ‘Spectators have a chance to watch the race from two locations - along the beach or following the race in motor boats.’
- ‘Your hired motor boat is bobbing up and down at anchor, occasionally nudging the pebbles on the beach as a bigger wave breaks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.