One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A mechanical system that includes an electric motor and drives a machine.
- ‘The book takes a very systematic approach to both installing and troubleshooting electric motor drives.’
- ‘We built a variable motor drive for a washing machine and it added $250 to the final cost.’
- ‘Engineers traced the problem to the electronics that control the tape player's motor drive.’
- ‘This new microcontroller is suited for robotics and industrial networking applications as well as industrial high-performance electrical motor drives where it is responsible for processing and communication.’
- ‘It's cutting edge stuff - the units I make are essential in power-saving applications as diverse as motor drive controllers, future generations of cars and even intelligent fridges.’
- 1.1 A battery-driven motor in a camera used to wind the film rapidly between exposures.
- ‘I normally use 2 or 3 camera bodies with motor drives when shooting fireworks.’
- ‘As I scurried to retrieve my smalls, the whirr of a dozen camera motor drives signalled that the whole unhappy episode was being captured on film.’
- ‘With the new batteries, the motor drive and camera are functioning just perfectly.’
- ‘Use your autowind or motor drive to fire off three or four successive shots to increase your odds of getting a winner.’
- ‘What are the serial numbers of your camera, lenses, flash gear and motor drives?’
- ‘Repeating the procedure did not work, so Harry was forced to wind on manually, as the actual light meter was now working OK, with the motor drive removed.’
- ‘As the fish was drawn to the boat, I switched the camera to motor drive then pressed the shutter button.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.