(of cells, gametes, and single-celled organisms) capable of motion.
in motion, operating, operational, working, going, on the move, activeView synonyms
- ‘This has had a tremendous impact on fungal biology, because it means that no fungus can produce motile gametes, and two organisms must therefore come into direct physical contact to effect sexual reproduction.’
- ‘Finally, greater moisture availability would enhance transfer of motile gametes, thereby leading to more successful sporophyte development.’
- ‘These nucleated, motile cells could be used to study membrane dynamics.’
- ‘Most are motile animals, but members of the order Stauromedusae are sessile.’
- ‘From these data the proportion of motile cells was determined.’
Relating to or characterized by responses that involve muscular rather than audiovisual sensations.
Mid 19th century: from Latin motus motion on the pattern of mobile.