One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having no mother because she is dead or absent from the home.‘a motherless daughter, disowned by her father’
- ‘Growing up motherless, Mary also lost her sister to suicide.’
- ‘The motherless family's pain is palpable and the sense of hopelessness can almost be smelt.’
- ‘Motherless, she was sent off early by her father to be a lady-in-waiting and was expected to make an advantageous marriage.’
- ‘She was educated largely at home, where, as the youngest of the motherless family, she may have fallen under the Wesleyan influence of her aunt.’
- ‘Mrs. Lorne treats Johnny kindly because she knows he is motherless.’
- ‘I stayed in bed for two weeks, taking painkillers and sleeping pills; trying to silence the nightmares of crying, motherless babies.’
- ‘Countless readers have bonded with the character of Janie Crawford, a motherless girl raised by her grandmother.’
- ‘Many friends knew the tale of her remarkable childhood spent on the cattle stations, with her father and his motherless brood of five young children.’
- ‘In 1992, 90,000 American women between the ages of 25 and 54 died and 125,000 kids under 18 were left motherless.’
- ‘The last two months have seen the release of three family films featuring single dads raising motherless only-children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.