Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who sees to the needs of others, especially in a fussy or interfering way.
- ‘I told Sean and Samantha that they should bring water too, but they told me I was being a mother hen and disregarded me completely.’
- ‘Throughout the evening, Patterson plays the mother hen, encouraging the kids' performances, moving a lighting rig here, adjusting a mic there.’
- ‘Mrs. Ellis is the traditional mother hen, always fussing over her little brood.’
- ‘The mother hen folded her arms, staring right at her.’
- ‘She was a mother hen to those working under her and in her department, and did all she could to teach them and advance their careers, pushing them out of the nest when she felt they were ready.’
- ‘Ever since then I've been more of a mother hen to him than anything else.’
- ‘I swear, you two are bigger mother hens than my own family is.’
- ‘They were constantly playing mother hen to each other.’
- ‘‘Fine, Luke darling, no need to be a mother hen,’ he tutted, and Wells rolled his eyes.’
- ‘Chris, being the mother hen that he was, tried to force food upon the others the instant they got home.’
- ‘She somehow manages to juggle the roles of mother hen, unofficial sex mascot, and confused woman.’
- ‘Everyone needs a mother hen once in a while.’
- ‘‘You're both a couple of old mother hens!’ he called after his friend as he disappeared to the lower deck.’
- ‘At only ten years old Lizzie was something of a mother hen with the rest of her siblings.’
- ‘I am a passionately involved community builder, I'm an activist, I know the importance of the spiritual life to my activism, so I try to work on that, and I'm a bit of a mother hen as well to all the young activists in Perth I think.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.