One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roadside hotel designed primarily for motorists, typically having the rooms arranged in a low building with parking directly outside.
- ‘The dancers could not afford to stay in hotels or motels, so they were billeted with people from the community.’
- ‘Airlie Beach has a wide spectrum of accommodation, from motels to resort hotels, and prices are somewhat lower.’
- ‘Everything in it is so much nicer than at those cheap motels, from the room size to the paintings on the wall to the coffee maker in the bathroom.’
- ‘Find out which motels and hotels in your area allow pets - well in advance of needing them.’
- ‘Contact motels and hotels in communities outside of your area and find out if they will accept pets in an emergency.’
- ‘If you plan to stay in hotels or motels, remember to make reservations in advance.’
- ‘Accommodation in Cairns ranges from backpacker hostels to motels and five-star hotels.’
- ‘Hotels, motels and entertainment theme parks have a unique security problem.’
- ‘Mountain cabin rentals provide a great alternative to standard hotels and motels.’
- ‘He never caused a scintilla of trouble at any of the dog-friendly hotels and motels we visited.’
- ‘There are of course a number of ways to save money on hotels and motels without compromising quality.’
- ‘Along with the signs, he said, the roadside motels and cafes are themselves art objects.’
- ‘I hate hotels and motels, I hate sleeping in strange beds, showering in strange showers.’
- ‘Hotels and motels usually renovate their properties every five to seven years.’
- ‘Some motels and hotels actually work out to be more expensive, especially if you choose to stay in a suite.’
- ‘A number of good motels and hotels offer accommodation for a stopover, and there is a good choice of restaurants and cafes.’
- ‘If you plan to stay in hotels or motels along the way, call in advance to make sure they allow pets.’
- ‘There are plenty of hotels and motels but not one permanent place of residence.’
- ‘All the hotels and motels along the waterfront has been totally destroyed.’
- ‘Wallpaper used to be reserved for conference centres, cheap motels and suburban sitting rooms.’
1920s: blend of motor and hotel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.