One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lock which is set within the body of a door in a recess or mortise, as opposed to one attached to the door surface.
- ‘She had about eight mortise locks on the door of her flat and her skin was almost paper white, and powdery like a mime artist's, as if she'd been dipped in chalk.’
- ‘In general, this means fitting five-lever mortice locks or deadlocks on doors and locks on all accessible windows.’
- ‘This pattern was created to operate and decorate a mortise lock whose mechanism was built into the fabric of the door.’
- ‘The outer front door of the porch had a mortise lock which showed no signs of being forced.’
- ‘For better security, fit BS 3621-kitemarked mortise locks to main and rear doors.’
- ‘The range of products installed can include door chains, mortice locks and bolts, spy holes, smoke alarms and low energy lightbulbs.’
- ‘He said: ‘There is a responsibility to look after your property, whether that means using padlocks, mortice locks, security lighting or even CCTV systems.’’
- ‘There was an alarm system, the doors were solid and well-provided with mortice locks and the windows were either fitted with internal shutters or glazed with a dozen or so square panes of glass in a non-opening wooden frame.’
- ‘The large sash windows of his 100-year-old home were fitted with bolts, and a mortise lock and a spy hole were fitted in his front door.’
- ‘I am replacing an old mortise lock - the skeleton key style one - with a new mortise lock.’
- ‘For example, 91 per cent of houses with wooden doors did not have mortise locks or an alarm fitted.’
- ‘Steve tells us he's now installed a phone in his shed and beefed up security with a five-lever mortise lock.’
- ‘The doors would have been equipped with mortise locks and these doorknobs.’
- ‘Sargent and Company of New Haven became a leading manufacturer of builders' hardware, including the increasingly popular mortise locks.’
- ‘In the 1990s, five star hotels started replacing their mortise locks on guest rooms with magnetic card readers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.