One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lock which is set within the body of a door in a recess or mortise, as opposed to one attached to the door surface.
- ‘I am replacing an old mortise lock - the skeleton key style one - with a new mortise lock.’
- ‘She had about eight mortise locks on the door of her flat and her skin was almost paper white, and powdery like a mime artist's, as if she'd been dipped in chalk.’
- ‘He said: ‘There is a responsibility to look after your property, whether that means using padlocks, mortice locks, security lighting or even CCTV systems.’’
- ‘Sargent and Company of New Haven became a leading manufacturer of builders' hardware, including the increasingly popular mortise locks.’
- ‘The range of products installed can include door chains, mortice locks and bolts, spy holes, smoke alarms and low energy lightbulbs.’
- ‘In general, this means fitting five-lever mortice locks or deadlocks on doors and locks on all accessible windows.’
- ‘The large sash windows of his 100-year-old home were fitted with bolts, and a mortise lock and a spy hole were fitted in his front door.’
- ‘The outer front door of the porch had a mortise lock which showed no signs of being forced.’
- ‘In the 1990s, five star hotels started replacing their mortise locks on guest rooms with magnetic card readers.’
- ‘This pattern was created to operate and decorate a mortise lock whose mechanism was built into the fabric of the door.’
- ‘There was an alarm system, the doors were solid and well-provided with mortice locks and the windows were either fitted with internal shutters or glazed with a dozen or so square panes of glass in a non-opening wooden frame.’
- ‘Steve tells us he's now installed a phone in his shed and beefed up security with a five-lever mortise lock.’
- ‘For example, 91 per cent of houses with wooden doors did not have mortise locks or an alarm fitted.’
- ‘The doors would have been equipped with mortise locks and these doorknobs.’
- ‘For better security, fit BS 3621-kitemarked mortise locks to main and rear doors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.