One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Muslim inhabitant of the Philippines.
- ‘The Spanish nicknamed the Philippines' Muslim inhabitants the Moros, a corruption of the word Moors.’
- ‘The Moros are Muslim tribes people who inhabit central and western Mindanao, the second largest island in the Philippines.’
- ‘With his credentials as colonial administrator solidly established, Wood was next sent to the Philippines and given the thankless task of subduing the Muslim Moros of the southern islands.’
- ‘Postwar disorder took years to suppress; sporadic military campaigns against bandits, rebels, and Muslim tribesmen, or Moros, continued until 1913.’
- ‘During the fourteenth century, Islamic Arab traders arrived; their descendants, the Moros, populated the southern islands and remained militant Muslims.’
- ‘Although the Moros belonged to 13 cultural-linguistic groups, Islam gave them a sense of common identity and often set them at odds with their Christian Filipino neighbors.’
- ‘The Moro in the south maintained a separate culture that predated the Islamic and colonial periods.’
Spanish, literally ‘Moor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.