One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man's cutaway coat and striped pants, worn on formal occasions such as weddings, typically with a top hat.
- ‘In the Royal Enclosure, men have to wear either black or grey morning dress, with a top hat.’
- ‘I wore full morning dress, so I could hardly have been mistaken for one of the crowd that had gathered in front of the building.’
- ‘The ladies wear posh frocks and fancy hats, and the men morning dress or smart suits.’
- ‘‘I thought about it, but I didn't think it was appropriate,’ he said as he stood, resplendent in morning dress, at Buckingham Palace.’
- ‘I have been invited to a wedding, but the invitation states that we should wear morning dress.’
- ‘When I went to get my morning dress altered at a London tailors he said he was doing ten per cent of usual business for Ascot.’
- ‘The British representatives at the conference were more soberly dressed in formal morning dress.’
- ‘Standing beside a large mahogany table was King George VI in morning dress, looking the typical Gentleman Squire to his fingertips.’
- ‘I had two sets of clothes made for him, a morning dress for outings, and a set of everyday wear.’
- ‘Only black or grey morning dress with the top hat or service dress is acceptable for gentlemen.’
- ‘Even in his final interview he had to appear before the Court of Common Council in full morning dress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.