One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a religion founded in the US in 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr.
Smith claimed to have found and translated The Book of Mormon by divine revelation. It tells the story of a group of Hebrews who migrated to America c.600 BC and is taken as scriptural alongside the Bible. The Mormons came into conflict with the US government over their practice of polygamy (officially abandoned in 1890) and moved their headquarters from Illinois to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1847 under Smith's successor, Brigham Young. Mormon doctrine emphasizes tithing, missionary work, and the Second Coming of Christ
- ‘No, the Mormons believe that Christ is a created being, that he is not God.’
- ‘There are, of course, more recent books that enjoy scriptural status among such groups as the Sikhs and Mormons.’
- ‘She insisted the Mormons were the only religion that was completely corruption-free.’
- ‘For me, Mormons tend to be hardworking, religious people who are very very friendly.’
- ‘Mormons tend to only mix with fellow Mormons on social occasions.’
- ‘The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints is more commonly known as Mormons.’
- ‘Basically the Mormons insist that Jesus came to America to teach the Native Americans about Jesus.’
- ‘The choir sang a moving hymn in Hawaiian, followed by ecumenical prayers from the Catholics, Buddhists and Mormons.’
- ‘The Mormons believe themselves and their faith to be a restoration of the original Church of the Apostles that existed in the first century.’
- ‘Since the early church, Mormons have published newspapers and magazines.’
- ‘The Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses now have their largest congregations in the world in Mexico City.’
- ‘Smith looked to the upcoming presidential race, hoping to secure the ear of a candidate willing to come to the aid of the Mormons.’
- ‘Mormons believe that the physical body is sacred and shouldn't be contaminated.’
- ‘The Mormons were looking for an ideal place to practice their religion, free from persecution.’
- ‘I am referring to the Mormons or, officially, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.’
Relating to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.‘the leader of a Mormon congregation’
- ‘The Mormons had left Nauvoo and many Mormon congregations in western Illinois had followed them.’
- ‘Yesterday we hosted a barbecue that was attended by lots of Mormons and lots of their Mormon kids.’
- ‘All Mormon men are ordained as members of the "priesthood," with the absolute authority to preach the gospel.’
- ‘Now the temples and meetinghouses are all the same wherever you go, and it all has to do with being able to identify a mormon building.’
Mid 19th century: the name of a prophet to whom Smith attributed The Book of Mormon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.