One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Moor in Spain, especially one who had accepted Christian baptism.
- ‘Finally the Moriscos were all expelled from Spain in the early seventeenth century.’
- ‘Weirdly enough, Morris dancing arguably derives from Morisco or Moorish dancing.’
- ‘Elizabeth, for her part, sent an army into the Spanish Netherlands in 1585 and offered to support Philip's Morisco subjects against the Spanish government in the late 1580s.’
- ‘Some 80,000 Moriscos in Granada were dispersed to other parts of Spain and Old Christians from northern Spain were settled on their lands.’
- ‘In 1609, when the Spaniards expelled all the Moriscos, approximately 80,000 came in a single year.’
Spanish, from Moro ‘Moor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.