One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A political action group formed in the 1970s to further a conservative and religious agenda, including the allowance of prayer in schools and strict laws against abortion.
- ‘During the Summer, Falwell's support of Reagan gained high visibility for his Moral Majority movement that had been formed the previous year.’
- ‘He is another Catholic who was a part of the Moral Majority at the beginning.’
- ‘The Moral Majority kicks off with a pro-life, pro-traditional family, pro-national defense and pro-Israel platform.’
- ‘He led the Moral Majority, which made abortion a major issue, and claimed credit for electing President Ronald Reagan.’
- 1.1moral majoritytreated as plural The majority of people, regarded as favoring firm moral standards.‘smokers are often made to feel like social outcasts by the moral majority’
- ‘We have to be very careful of minorities that present themselves as the moral majority when they are not.’
- ‘Even more infuriating are the self-righteous hypocrites who claim to speak for a superior moral majority.’
- ‘They have no moral majority to make this stance, and I say that it is an affront to our Westminster democratic system.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that we have not been able to secure a UN resolution or even a moral majority.’
- ‘Opposition, predictably, arrived from church groups and from the moral majority, who attacked the idea as a further erosion of traditional family values.’
- ‘The moral majority types, many of whom had never even seen the film were all up in arms against it.’
- ‘Harshly criticised at first by the moral majority, most protests were eventually forgotten as its genius came to be recognised as a vital part of US popular culture.’
- ‘The people who want cannabis to stay banned, however, seem to consider themselves the moral majority.’
- ‘The military itself, at least, isn't behaving as stupidly as the moral majority crowd is.’
1970s: originally as Moral Majority, the name of a right-wing movement in the US.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.