One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘We were mooncalves when it came to Woody Allen.’
- ‘Everybody's laden with guilt, even Hilbert and Wilhelm, who look like utter mooncalves to me.’
- ‘This article is a sad commentary on the state of public schools and the navel-gazing mooncalves we hire to run them.’
- ‘But if Ribisi is famous for any one thing he's done, it's Phoebe's mooncalf brother in Friends.’
- ‘They are assumed to be knowledgeable veterans of the city, not ignorant mooncalves.’
Mid 16th century: from moon + calf, perhaps on the pattern of German Mondkalb; originally in the sense ‘shapeless mass in the womb’, thought to be produced by the influence of the moon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.