One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A warm, thickly padded boot with an outer surface of fabric or plastic.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Wearing white leggings, white moon boots, and a furry white hat, I looked like the largest, friendliest snowball you ever laid eyes on!’
- ‘Perfect powder snow makes a satisfying scrunch as I plod out to the children's area, an ungainly heel-toe process in the leaden moon boots binding my ankles.’
- ‘Don't buy anything like moon boots; those gigantic boots that keep your feet warm in 10-degree weather are fine for playing in the snow or shoveling, but usually lack style.’
- ‘She was wearing a white short sleeved top with lettering on it, cream combat trousers and a pair of white furry moon boots.’
- ‘Q. Where can I buy a pair of affordable black moon boots?’
- ‘Worse still, I used to team summer shorts with a duffle-coat and angel wings, or I'd wear frilly party dresses with my furry moon boots.’
- ‘The hard-wearing look continued with heavy brown moon boots worn under skin-tight trousers cut to the ankle or knee and asymmetrical jackets drawn tight across the shoulders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.