Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make the characteristic deep vocal sound of a cow.
moo, bellowView synonyms
- ‘I reached out to stick a finger into the pail when the cow mooed again.’
- ‘Children were running everywhere, dogs were barking and cows were mooing.’
- ‘We drove down a winding country road surrounded by large vegetable gardens in various stages of harvest, cow pastures with lots of passive cows mooing softly and small rural homes.’
- ‘Cattle and sheep started to roam languidly towards the hill slopes where they grazed, mooing and baaing.’
- ‘Disturbed by Lewis's examination of her newborn, the heifer mooed unhappily.’
- ‘Adding to the mesmerizing murmur of the flowing water, the sounds of birds singing and cows mooing left one feeling totally at peace.’
- ‘She mooed loudly as though in shock, and ran in the opposite direction.’
- ‘It was sleeping peacefully, mooing faintly and twitching its hooves.’
- ‘Quietly waiting, chewing their cuds, occasionally mooing, they look in from outside their barn doors at the plentiful picnic refreshments prepared for the human beings.’
- ‘The rains began to pour down in heavy pelts, in huge droplets, the cows mooing a nervous call loud over the plateau.’
- ‘Several of the bulls started bellowing and the cows mooing.’
The characteristic deep vocal sound of a cow.
- ‘And how many times does a cow say moo in it's lifetime?’
- ‘She got some that had cows and said moo on them.’
- ‘George can only quack, oink, moo, and meow.’
- ‘Where life still revolves around the temple, and cows have homes where they are guaranteed dinner - if they stand outside and moo.’
- ‘She withdrew her hand, and nearly jumped as the cow let out a soft, gentle moo.’
Mid 16th century: imitative.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.